COVID-19 was a huge interruption to businesses across the globe and especially here at home in the real estate market. Spring is usually a hot market but in the last few weeks, stay at home orders have curtailed both showings and listings.
But don’t despair! Get your home ready NOW and you’ll be far ahead of the game when the momentum shifts.
Though buyers are seeing lenders require higher credit scores and larger down payments to obtain a loan, buyers are still buying. So, here are a few ideas to get your house ready to go:
1. Declutter. One of the biggest downers is to walk into a home with clutter everywhere. Take a step back and see your home through the eyes of a stranger. There is a place for everything and everything in it’s place! Take down personal items such as photos and books and pre-pack them for your upcoming move!
2. Deep clean and sanitize. Now more than ever, buyers want to see spic and span. So wipe down those baseboards, clean off those doors and doorhandles, and even wipe down the inside and outside of the fridge! You may want to leave individual packets of hand sanitizers, gloves or a container of wipes by the door to make others feel safer.
3. Invest in smart home updates. Keyless entries, security doorbells, or even lighting, appliances and thermostats that are controlled by a smart phone app. The more touch-free your home is right now the better.
4. Curb appeal. Paint those shutters. Plant some flowers. Seed the lawn and keep it mowed. Paint the mailbox or replace the worn out numbers on the house. Little things that don’t cost much will brighten up the house.
5. Change your lightbulbs to energy efficient bright white bulbs to make the rooms brighter. And when the showing agent leaves the lights on, it won’t bust your budget :)
6. Be sure to discuss what virtual marketing options your agent has, including virtual tours, virtual open houses and other online tools to get your home SOLD NOW!